Austin R. Justice
Austin was Allen C. Guelzo Chair of History at JKC from 2015-16. An avid student of the social sciences & humanities, Austin was our Student Founder -- working for two years to establish JKC at BCHS. In addition, he was the original designer of our website. He was responsible for writing our induction ceremony, selecting our JKC Alumni Song, organizing events, establishing relations with the Big Sandy Heritage Center, naming the chapter, and much more.
Austin is an aspiring historian. He was one of three national 2015 Lincoln Forum Students Scholars, and the only person nationally to receive a scholarship to the 2015 Lincoln Colloquium & an invitation to the 2016 Abraham Lincoln Association Banquet & Symposium.
He graduated from BCHS in May 2016 with Highest Distinction as Class Historian. Currently, he studies history & classics at the University of Illinois. Below are a few of his accolades.
What I'm Doing Now
I'm currently an undergraduate at the University of Illinois studying history & classics with a minor in Spanish. Beyond the classroom, I'm the website designer/administrator for the Big Sandy Heritage Center in my hometown of Pikeville. I'm also the museum's Civil War Era specialist volunteer & series writer for the, "Hearts of the Valley" blog series. This summer (2016), I underwent digitization training at the Kentucky Historical Society with hopes of interning for the Papers of Abraham Lincoln at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum in Springfield, Illinois next summer (2017). Other projects include continuing as the website admin for BCHS's Rho Kappa chapter, working as a member of U of I's unique digital humanities initiative SourceLab, and fulfilling duties as a research assistant.
• 2015 Lincoln Forum Student Scholar
• Class of 2016 Distinguished Leader
• Representative DeMolay Award
• National Spanish Honor Society
• Homosexuality in Greek Antiquity
• Peters, William. Military Court Proceedings. 1794. Print. (Digitized).
• 'Short & Simple Annals of the Poor': Commemorating Lincoln's Birth
• Letton, James Ezra. James Ezra Letton Papers. 1844. Archival Material. (Digitized).
• Kentucky Historical Society digitization volunteer.
• DeMolay Past Master Councilor
• Save the Illinois State Museum supporter.
• Big Sandy Heritage Center Civil War Era specialist volunteer
Austin's Senior Quote
“In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - A. Lincoln.
Book Suggestions by Austin
- Lincoln - David Herbert Donald
- Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean - Charles Freeman
- Disunion!: The Coming of the American Civil War, 1789-1859 - Elizabeth R. Varon
- Appomattox: Victory, Defeat, and Freedom at the End of the Civil War - Elizabeth R. Varon
- Mourning Lincoln - Martha Hodes
- Lincoln and the Power of the Press: The War for Public Opinion - Harold Holzer
- Classical Greece - C.M. Bowra
- Lincoln's Battle with God - Stephen Mansfield
- All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
- Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation - Allen C. Guelzo
- After Appomattox: Military Occupation and the Ends of War - Gregory P. Downs
- Race & Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory - David W. Blight
- American Oracle: The Civil War in the Civil Rights Era - David W. Blight
- The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery - Eric Foner
- Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877 - Eric Foner
- In Lincoln's Hand: His Original Manuscripts - Edited by Harold Holzer & Joshua Wolf Shenk
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Paulo Freire
- The Labyrinth of Solitude - Octavio Paz
Historic Sites & Museums Suggestions by Austin
- Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - Appomattox, Virginia
- The British Museum - London, England, United Kingdom
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum - Springfield, Illinois
- Illinois Old State Capitol - Springfield, Illinois
- Lincoln Home National Historic Site - Springfield, Illinois
- Lincoln Tomb State Historic Site - Springfield, Illinois
- Lincoln-Herndon Law Office - Springfield, Illinois
- Edwards Place - Springfield, Illinois
- Vandalia State House Historic Site - Vandalia, Illinois
- Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site - Petersburg, Illinois
- The Oriental Institute - Chicago, Illinois
- Chicago History Museum - Chicago, Illinois
- The American Civil War Museum - Richmond, Virginia & Appomattox, Virginia
- Kentucky Old State Capitol - Frankfort, Kentucky
- Civil War Museum of the Western Theater - Bardstown, Kentucky
- My Old Kentucky Home State Park - Bardstown, Kentucky
- Fort Massac State Park - Metropolis, Illinois
- Pamplin Historical Park - Petersburg, Virginia
- Gettysburg National Military Park - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- Old St. Louis County Courthouse - St. Louis, Missouri
- Lincoln Heritage Museum - Lincoln, Illinois
- Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania